Cougars washed up after North Shore loss

With four of Cinco’s starters on the bench due to injuries, the cougars suffered a 62-21 loss to the state-ranked North Shore Mustangs on Friday, Sept. 14.

The Mustangs broke away early with two touchdowns and an extra point at the beginning of the first quarter.

At the end of the first quarter, Cinco attempted a comeback  with junior running back Denzel Bates’ three yard rushing touchdown and junior Jared Barrera’s field goal. As the rain began pouring down, the scoreboard read 13-7 for North Shore.

By half-time, North Shore had gained a 29 point lead, comprised of four touchdowns, three field goals and a safety.

North Shore scored the first touchdown of the second half, making the score 49-7 with 6:42 left in the third quarter. Three minutes later, Cinco junior defensive back Nick Mika scored with an 11 yard rushing touchdown.

North Shore came back and countered with a touchdown ending the third quarter at 56-14.

With seven minutes left in the game, senior quarterback Kyle Huddleston threw a touchdown pass to junior Sam Straughn. After Eguia’s field goal, the cougars brought the score to 56-21. With 1:52 left in the game, the Mustangs finished off with 62 yard defensive touchdown and a missed field goal.

The night concluded with a 62-21 win for North Shore.

The cougars’ next game will be their first district game against the Memorial Mustangs on Saturday, Sept. 29.