Cinco shuts out Mayde Creek

The Cinco Ranch Cougars shut out the Mayde Creek Rams 35-0 on Thursday September 28th at Rhodes stadium. It was a particularly emotional game for the Cougars as they played in honor of former freshman football player Logan Dark who passed away in a car crash last week. “Yeah it did, one of our brothers who played football, he passed and that was hard and I know before the game there were a lot of sad faces but we were just gonna play that game for him and he’s looking down and he wanted us to win, and we’re just glad we did that for him” Starting quarterback Davis Roup said when asked if this game had higher stakes because of Logan’s passing. 

Just by seeing how the players performed you can tell how much he meant to the team and to the school. Logan’s number 80 jersey was held by the players as they ran onto the field and the same jersey could be seen displayed on a whiteboard throughout the game. Everyone in the stands was wearing green to represent crosswalk safety in hopes that this will bring awareness to the issue, so that a tragedy like this never happens again.

The game itself was very one sided with Cinco dominating Mayde Creek with its superior run game and defense. The First Quarter would go scoreless before Cinco would take a 14-0 lead in the second quarter on touchdowns from Tessiah Young and Gavin Beavers. This would be the score going into the half as Mayde Creek’s offense struggled to move the ball down the field. Midway through the 3rd Quarter Cinco would once again find the endzone on a touchdown by sophomore running back Marcus Gadlin.

The score would remain 21-0 Going into the 4th Quarter as Cinco’s defense continued to shut down Mayde Creek. Cinco would score twice more on touchdowns from Tessiah Young and Marcus Gadlin to make it 35-0 which would ultimately be the final score of the game. This was the best Cinco has looked on defense all year as they recorded their first shutout of the season. Meanwhile, the offense continued to thrive under quarterback Davis Roup as the threat of the passing attack allowed Cinco’s running backs to run all over Mayde Creek as they combined for 190 rushing yards and 4 total touchdowns.

Cinco remains undefeated under Davis Roup as they record their 3rd straight win and move to 4-2 on the year. They will look to continue their winning ways against the Jordan Warriors on Friday October 6th at Rhodes Stadium. “This is a big game for us, this is a big opponent they have a lot of good players but we’re a good team too and any team in this district can beat anyone so we just need to focus on this week and practice and play our hardest” Roup said when asked about how he felt about the upcoming Jordan game. You can tell that Roup and the rest of the team are taking this very seriously and are going to go out there and play their hardest against Jordan.Cinco carries a lot of momentum and they will be challenging Jordan every step of the way. Go Cougars!!