Students find unique ways to view eclipse

Samuel Teas, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The United States saw a total solar eclipse pass through the country on Monday, August 22. Although Katy ISD students were not permitted to view the eclipse, some students found ways to witness the solar phenomenon. Although the eclipse was not completely visible in Katy, TX, it could be seen partially.

“It’s a pretty special thing that happened and there was a lot of hype,” sophomore Alefiyah Gandi said. “The fact that we were in school for it was stupid.”

Some students were able to view the eclipse either by the discrete allowance of their teachers or with their parents.

“We went outside and these two girls had protective glasses and we all took turns wearing them,” sophomore Katherine Ospina said. “The sun had a reddish tint to it and it was partially covered.”

Senior Johann Pally left school early to view the eclipse with his father.

“It is rare to find an opportunity which connects so many people of different backgrounds to a singular scientific phenomenon,” Pally said. “Any single bystander, artist or scientist can look up and be reminded and humbled at how vast of a universe we live in and how small, yet knowledgeable we are.”

Katy ISD did not allow students to view the eclipse, as the Risk Management Office deemed it unsafe.

“I understand that there is a heavy safety hazard, but I still think [the decision] paid a heavier price,” Pally said. “The main purpose of education is to inspire kids about the world around them, and the eclipse was perhaps the most fruitful opportunity Katy ISD had to do so. So much can be taught from the viewing of an eclipse. If nothing more, at least students, for a few minutes, could appreciate the skies.”