School Support

Hey Cougars, We hope everyone has had a good week so far! Today’s special is an exclusive about school support and how counselors can help achieve this for you. Keep reading to learn how bullying is handled in school grounds, support counselors give to students, and an important message that will be shared by the end of this article by Ms. Rolon, a main campus counselor who we got this exclusive from. 

School bullying has been around for a long time, there’s been many victims, perpetrators, and consequences that could be solved if someone just speaks up about it. Once you speak up, the school takes this matter seriously, not letting this revelation be taken for granted. “Bullying is mainly handled by the assistant principal’s office, but counselors do work as well when there’s an occurrence of bullying, which means, if you’re being harassed by another person, it means it’s repeatedly happening, we can document it how many times this person has repeatedly bullied other and this would make them face serious consequences” Rolon said.

“The counselor provides support for the person who’s being bullied, and also for the person whose bullying, because something is going on in their life as well. We care about both parties, and we want to make sure we support them” Rolon said. It is recommended for bullying victims to come forward to counselors about how they’re being harassed by others, since knowing about it is of importance so they can take action and help out both parties. There’s also ways counselors can help if you’re struggling academically and emotionally. 

“We work with parents in some cases, when they come in and tell us their child is struggling with a subject. We call the student in and help them gain access to tutoring, outside tutors, and also when they’re afraid to speak up about something they don’t understand in class” Rolon said. Counselors all help students academically as well as socially and emotionally. They don’t focus on one area specifically to look out for a student, they are willing to help whoever seeks out to them for support with no hesitation. 

Rolon then shared one important message for all students who are struggling and hesitant to come up to their counselors for help. “Don’t hesitate. We can’t help that we don’t know that is struggling, so we encourage students to either come into our office or put the request on google docs that can be found by scanning the QR code that’s in every classroom and that’s how they access us” Rolon said.