James focuses on present; ready for college

By: Joe Goodwin

Dreams of playing college football are often seen as not possible. Not for Senior Running Back Jamel James who was lucky enough to have his dreams come true.

Before his high school career ends and he makes his way to Notre Dame, James hopes to dominate the field like never before. During his three years on Varsity Football, Senior Jamel James has scored 36 touchdowns and has rushed for over 2,500 yards. Now entering his senior season, James hopes to continue his success, and look towards his future at Notre Dame.

James had offers from Louisiana State University, Mississippi, Texas Tech, West Virginia, but ultimately settled on Notre Dame.

“It’s a great school, and academic- wise, it’s one of the best colleges in the nation and has a good football team as well,” James said.

Even in his sophomore year, James knew he could play college football. Now, as a senior James has not only worked very hard but also has become one of the team’s leaders.

“Jamel worked hard over the offseason and this summer,” Senior Linebacker Robby Chesnick said. “His leadership has grown over the summer and he is doing a great job of leading the team this year.”

Standing 5 foot 11 inches and weighing 220 pounds, James is difficult for defenders to tackle. His rare blend of size and speed makes him a unique running back which is why he has been on Varsity since his freshman year. In addition James is extremely powerful, and coaches like his physical style of running.

“He’s a strong power runner that can gain a lot of yards when he puts his shoulder down, hits defenders and run through tackles,” running back coach Quentin White said.

His teammates feel that James is capturing the moment, He has come into this season more determined, and with a different demeanor.

“I have seen a difference in Jamel’s maturity both on and off the field compared to last,” Senior Receiver Gabriel Sobarzo said. “This is evident through his work ethic and his off the field decisions.”

Being a highly touted running back James has had to look over numerous colleges wanting him on their team. Now James can find comfort in knowing where he is going to play football next fall.

“It’s just having my future planned out for me, but I’ve got to keep that in the future and worry about the present right now,” James said.

This year James is the starting running back and one of the team captains, but this coming fall James will be competing with another recruit to see who earns the starting position.

“I should be starting,” James said. “They just added a running back so it’s me and another guy so basically I’ll be the starter.”

With college football steadily approaching James has had to prioritize this year and keep college in the future.

“I get more ready as the days go by,” James said. “But I’m still worried about highschool football right now.”

In the meantime James bleeds maroon and this year he has the opportunity to have rushed for over 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. Although James is excited to join the Fighting Irish on field next fall, he is still focused on making it to playoffs and having a successful senior year.

“You only get one senior year so you might as well have a ball with it,” James said