Cougars triumph in ‘battle of ranches’

The Cougars emerge after halftime leading Cy Ridge on the scoreoard. The night ended in a 34-6 win for the Cougars.

After much anticipation over the upcoming season, the varsity football team made their debut on Friday, Aug. 31 against Cypress Ranch High School. The Cougars came out on top with a final score of 34-6.

Senior defensive back Kevin Colpoys suffered an injury in the first quarter that will leave him out for the rest of the season, and midway through the second quarter, senior running back Jamel James joined him on the sidelines with a leg injury. Shortly after, Cy Ranch’s running back Keith Ford was ejected from the game for unsportsman like conduct. This left both of the state’s top running backs on the sidelines by halftime.

“The injuries hurt our team a lot,” senior quarterback Cole Thomas said. “Those that were hurt will be in our prayers. I believe we will be able to come together as a team though, and still be successful.”

The Cougars took the lead right away with two touchdowns by James in the first quarter and from there, managed to keep the lead for the rest of the game despite the amount of turnovers.

“The game sets a very positive mood for this season and was a real confidence boost,” Thomas said. “We will try to take this momentum with us into our next game against Cy Ridge.”

The two schools had the privilege of being the first high school football teams to play at BBVA Compass Stadium, home of the Dynamo’s.

“There was a buzz all over the locker room,” senior defensive lineman John Liner said. “There was so much energy and excitement leading into the game, and for good reason. Not everyone gets to be the first football team to play in a professional stadium.”

Last year Cinco Ranch ended their varsity football season with a 9-3 record and made it to the second round of playoffs before losing to Cy Fair. Over the summer, Cinco Ranch competed in the 7-on-7 state tournament and made it to the second round where they lost to Plano, who went on to be the champion of the tournament.

“The camaraderie amongst our team is great,” Liner said. “Everyone has a sense of respect for each other, and we all get along. Those are key components to having a team. No matter how talented a group is, until they come together as a unit they will never be a team. And we, the Cinco Ranch Cougars, are a team.”

Cinco Ranch now prepares for their next game against Cy Ridge High School on Friday, Sept. 7 at the Berry Center.