Girls varsity basketball band together, push teammates

Girls’ varsity basketball coach, Coach Morris, has big plans for her team. It has been nearly two months since the start of the season, yet Morris has had the team’s long and short term goals set before anyone stepped foot on the court.

“We really want to accomplish all our goals we set in the preseason, long and short term,” Morris said, “Short term wise, our goals include being 70 percent on the free throw line, have 12 or less turnovers per game, have 35 rebounds per game, hold our opponents to 40 points, and average 50 points a game.”

As for long term, the team hopes to regain the district title, win the regional championship, and win the state championship. Off court, Morris also wants to help the team come together.

“I would like the team to improve on their team building. We are working on becoming a family, which is very important.” Morris said. Morris also recognizes that the biggest obstacle the team needs to overcome is themselves, but if they stick together, they can go far.

“We are unstoppable if we execute and stay mentally and physically prepared!” Morris said.

As for players, senior point guard Shayne Ortiz plans to have a memorable final year playing for the Cougars.

“I just want to make an impact on the school in some way. Whether we are district, or state champions, I just want our team to be remembered” Ortiz said.

Although she recently signed to play at Rice University, post Megan Palmer has her mind set to continue working hard to accomplish the team’s ambition.

“This year we are getting the district championship back,” Palmer said. “As a team we have been working very hard to reach this goal, and if we work together, then we are more than capable of reaching it.”

Both Palmer and Ortiz agree that the thing they will miss the most about Cougar basketball is their team.

“We basically complete each other, like we know each other so well and it’s just a fun time whenever we’re together.” Ortiz said. 

“We have our ups and downs but at the end of the day we all love each other and have each other’s back no matter what.” Palmer said.

The girls also feel that Cougar basketball has taught them lessons to help them succeed after high school.

“I’ve learned to put others before myself.” Ortiz said, “In order to achieve our goals, you need to realize it is not just about you, it is about the team.”

As for what she hopes to achieve out of her last season, Palmer says she just wants to see her teammates succeed.

“Before I leave I want to help all of my teammates reach their goals.” Palmer said, “Since I have my scholarship already I would like to focus on helping my teammates get noticed by colleges and do all I can to help them be the best player they can be.”