Varsity basketball season comes to end

Boys, girls teams head to playoffs

Photo by Abdalla Khalil

Sara Saavedra, Staff Writer

The varsity basketball regular season ended in February with both boys and girls varsity teams advancing to the playoffs. Both teams defeated state-ranked teams and local rivals.

“We’ve had some big wins this year,” Coach Frank Fogg said, “including Cy-Woods and Pearland Dawson.”

The girls defeated top-ranked high school A&M Consolidated on Nov. 25 with a nail-biting score of 51-50.

The boys followed suit, defeating Cy-Woods with a close score of 69-64 and Pearland Dawson with a score of 56-47. A big win came from a win over Manvel, a top-twenty team in the state, with a score of 53-41.

“We went the farthest we’ve ever gone,” Fogg said when the boys’ varsity team broke a team record at the Katy ISD Nike Classic Tournament on Dec.7. They ranked in second when they played Westside High School, who won the tournament, with a score of 65-58.

During their more recent game on Feb. 4, the boys were up against Strake Jesuit, who ultimately fell short when the Cougars scored 51-45.

Although the girls varsity team was able to make it to the top, they did suffer an “unexpected loss” when they competed against Taylor High School, Coach Michelle Morris said. The Lady Cougars were not defeated by much, however, with a score of 58-55 with senior Corin Evans and junior Kelly Lynch leading the score board.
The boys playoff season begins on Feb 18.