Golf tournament remembers Saiz

The Chris Saiz Point the Way Foundation held its first annual golf tournament, on Oct. 3 at the River Ridge Golf Course in Sealy. The tournament was bigger than just golf, it was the second scheduled event since the foundation started last February, to remember Michael and Magda Saiz’s son Chris. 150 golfers competed in the tournament which included a live auction of NBA players’ jerseys, a lunch donated by Which Wich, and a movie, to tribute Chris’ life.

According the Chris Saiz Point the Way Foundation website, the goal of the foundation is “to provide a financial assistance program for graduating high school seniors seeking a college education.” For Magda, the first golf tournament was a major success and hopes the next tournament will build off that success.

“Thanks to the outpouring of support from the Katy community we think that the Foundation’s first charity golf tournament was a major success,” Magda said.

Since the tournament was held on a Monday, all of the competitors were adults. Many who participated were friends of the Saiz family or just wanted to help the foundation. Kevin Colpoys sr. competed in the tournament and personally knew Chris, which made the event even more remember able for him.

“I had two special memories,” Colpoys said. “First the video that was put together to remember Chris. It was very touching and it reminded me of him as a youngster as he grew into the great man that he was becoming.”

Tournament director Stacey Hicks had the enormous task of making sure the event ran smoothly. She was in charge of everything related to the tournament.

“Ultimately my job was to make sure that everyone on the sub committees did their job,” Hicks said. “I had the most amazing group to work with.”

The Saiz family is grateful for the community’s support for the foundation.

“We had an incredible amount of support from the business community with financial sponsorships; food stations throughout the course; and a very successful silent auction and live auction,” Magda said.

For Magda, who thinks of her son every day, the tournament was especially rewarding. She is thankful to everyone who has gone out to contribute to the foundation.

“It is a true blessing and we are very thankful for the tremendous support we have received for the foundation,” Magda said. “With the funds raised at the golf tournament we hope to double the scholarship awards for high school seniors.”