Cougar tennis team scores in UIL districts

The Cougar tennis team competed in the UIL District 19-5A tennis competition on April 5th, and several Cinco Ranch athletes placed in the tournament.

“We played some really good matches and had exciting points,” junior Caitlin Alverson said. “Although not many people placed, we all still played hard. The other schools, such as Seven Lakes and Memorial, are both really good schools with very strong teams.”

Senior Maximo Agoglia placed first in varsity boys singles after a close finals match with Memorial’s Ciro Lampasses, maintaining his undefeated record for the season.

“It feels great to be able to accomplish that goal, and I’m glad that the hard work has paid off,” senior Maximo Agoglia said. “Thanks to my coaches Harvey and May, as well as the support from my teammates, I was able to make it happen.”

Also, junior Paloma Alatorre placed third in varsity girls singles, and juniors Freddy Daum and Mick Oyardo placed second in varsity boys doubles.

“I think we performed very well overall,” junior Emily Gilcrease said. “Everyone tried their best to beat some tough teams, and we came out with several wins.”

In the sub-varsity matches, junior Emily Gilcrease placed second in JV girls singles, while junior Caitlin Alverson and sophomore Kohl Matcek placed third in junior varsity mixed doubles.

“Although I was disappointed that I didn’t get first, I was still very proud to have made it to the finals,” Gilcrease said. “I played a difficult match, but I still had a lot of fun.”

Additionally, in the freshman section of competition, Freshmen Collin Williams and Ryan Stomp placed fourth in boys doubles.

“This year, we had quite a few new freshmen, and watching them compete at districts was exciting because I saw how much they have improved since August.” Alverson said. “I’m really proud of them. This year was a learning year for a lot of us, and we just got more experience, so we’ll be better prepared for next year.”

This marks the fourth year in a row that Agoglia has won the varsity District Championship. He is seeded first in the upcoming Regional UIL meet.

“I think it was a very competitive meet, with really tough teams competing in all divisions,” Agoglia said. “I believe Cinco did quite well with some good wins.”