Cross country sees changes

As nature’s seasons change, so does cross country. With a new coach and a new distance, the Girls Cross Country team prepares for a very different year of running.

The Cross Country team is changing as their race lengthens into a five kilometer run rather than former years’ two mile race. This removes Texas from the states without a five kilometer cross country distance. Junior Ali Radvansky, a varsity cross country runner, takes the five kilometer in good stride.

“It’ll be helpful to [cross country freshman]… they’ll learn from experience how to prepare,” Radvansky said.

Though keeping to their original strategies of preparation the team still looks forward to a competitive run at District Competition and has high expectations for success at Regionals. Senior varsity runner, Sammie Kubiak, has high expectations for upcoming competition.

“[We have] won districts every year since [Cinco] opened so I believe we will keep up the tradition and win districts to make it to regionals,” Kubiak said.

Coach Dana Mathis, the new Girls Cross Country coach, is devoting much of her effort into emphasizing their training than last year. Mathis comes to the table with a bright encouragement and motivation that shows her dedication to their success.

“She shows a lot of passion when she coaches,” Kubiak said.

The direct attention motivates and wins over the girls as they focus on a new goal and longer distance in mind.

” You can tell she truly cares and wants us to do our best,” Kubiak said.