Band selects 2018-19 drum majors

Jordyn Guzman, Staff Writer

Every year, the Cinco Ranch marching band goes through a rigorous selection process to select who will lead the band to success. The selected candidates must showcase all of the qualities of a leader to the highest degree.

These people are the drum majors.

Head drum major and senior Justin Zhang and the three assistant drum majors, junior Lydia Falcon, and sophomores Kelly Haas and Ivanna Heigl-Maza, have been chosen to lead the band for the 2018-2019 marching season.

“For me right now, it hasn’t really sunk in yet,” Zhang said. “It’s kind of like ‘woah, what, me as head drum major?’ I’m just really excited for what’s going to happen next year.”

The head drum major is positioned front and center when conducting the band at contests, games and other events.

“We’re basically an extension of the directors,” Zhang said. “In a sense, we are like assistant directors. We help organize everything in the band, and of course we get to conduct as well. I’m really excited, because this has been a goal of mine since the very beginning. I just can’t wait.”

The Band has four drum majors chosen each year. The head drum major and the three assistants act as a team to lead and drive the band to success.

“I think we’re going to be able to work together really well,” Falcon said. “I think that’s going to promote harmony in the band. We’re all really hard workers, so hopefully that will rub off on the people that we’re leading.”

The drum majors must be committed to band, just like the band members.

“Drum majors put a lot of time into making the band better,” Haas said. “They just pour their heart into the band program. They set examples by the way they act in class, the grades that they get, and their leadership skills. My goal for this year is to make the year enjoyable and fun, and keep it productive and accomplish things.”

About the Writer
Jordyn Guzman, News Editor

Jordyn Guzman is returning to the County Line staff for her second year.  How did she survive sophomore year? Don’t ask her. She wouldn’t be able to tell you. When she is not complaining about AP chemistry, she can be found complaining about something else or watching various Vine compilations or looking at memes. She is stressed, but well dressed. Her greatest passion is music and anything that has to do with it, with her favorite hobbies being practicing her french horn and blasting music from her record player. It is what fuels her and keeps her going. She is also very good at spilling tea. It is a skill she has mastered from watching numerous episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race, and countless Shane Dawson vlogs. Jordyn is eager to be a part of the County Line staff for another year and can’t wait to see what this year has in store for her.