10 Cloverfield Lane, a thoroughly engrossing psychological thriller that will knock the wind out of you

Mary Elizabeth Winstead  and John Goodman star in

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman star in "10 Cloverfield Lane."

Seth Ritchie, Contributing writer

10 Cloverfield Lane, released March 11, 2016, is a spiritual successor to the 2008 film Cloverfield and follows Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), a woman who is brought to a bunker after a car crash and effectively kept hostage by Howard (John Goodman), a survivalist who claims the world outside has been ravaged by a chemical attack.

10 Cloverfield Lane is an outstanding film. Everything from its direction, its tension, and even its viral marketing campaign was done with masterful precision. The script is unrelentingly suspenseful, as the situation our protagonist finds herself in has an air of plausibility to it, making it that much more unsettling. John Goodman, proving himself to be one of the best actors of the modern age, perfectly teeters between sanity and being totally unhinged, keeping the two souls locked in with him, and the audience, on edge. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Gallagher, Jr., who plays another survivor named Emmett, are both great in their roles and bring depth to their characters.

The plot of the movie is fierce. It can go from being light hearted and fun to dark and unforgiving in a matter of seconds. When things go bad for Michelle, it feels like a kick to the teeth, in the best possible way. The homey and cozy setting of the bunker becomes a contained nightmare as the movie progresses. The one weak part of the movie is its seemingly abrupt and out-of-nowhere ending that may leave some audience members disappointed, but, on further reflection, the ending serves to be a fulfilling twist and a meaningful conclusion to Michelle’s character arc.

10 Cloverfield Lane is an exceptional, genre-defying movie. Its refreshing premise and amazing trio of actors make this movie a restless and downright intense experience that is sure to become a modern classic among fans and critics alike.

VERDICT: 9.5/10