Softball winds up for spring home run season

The varsity softball team’s season starts in February, but the girls have already started preparations for another strong, successful season as a family.

“I’m so glad we have a drama-free team. Everyone gets along and it’s like we’re one big happy family,” sophomore Savannah Warren said. “Being a part of something like this builds major character. I feel like I can go out into the world and become a leader.”

Last year, the girls won the district title, and are hoping to accomplish even more this year. They are taking leadership from their captains.

“Being a captain is special because you have an image that everyone on the field looks up to and follows you, so it comes with a lot of responsibility. I like softball because it’s a stress reliever from everything,” senior captain Caitlin Henry said.

The team accredits their tightly-knit structure to head coach Jerry Miller.

“Coach Miller is an amazing coach. He is really an inspiration to all of us girls. Most of the time when you hear kids talk about their coach, it’s about how mean they are—not saying that coach hasn’t pushed us, because he does,” sophomore Sydney Bourgeois said.

The ladies’ first game is on Feb. 15 at 6 p.m. in College Station against A&M Consolidated.