America needs a candidate who listens

As my standard issue news chopper touches down at the school every morning, I have to stop and think- have I helped the American people enough today? The answer is always a resounding yes. As the County Line’s official (self-appointed) election correspondent, I will be tirelessly covering the political season this year. From republican events (watching Clint Eastwood’s speech at the RNC) to democratic events (watching people making fun of Clint Eastwood’s speech at the RNC), I will fly my chopper across the country every week in search of hard hitting election news.

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney has recently received a lot of criticism for a statement caught on film during a private fundraiser.

“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what,” Romney said. “All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it…These are people who pay no income tax…My job is not to worry about those people.”

Many have criticized the candidate’s comments as being tactless, elitist, and overly dismissive of half the country that he wants to lead. I also have a problem with Romney’s statement.  I don’t think it went far enough.

Sure, he dismissed half of America’s population as not being the concern of the president. And that’s a good start. Romney is absolutely right. The people who don’t pay income tax—the unemployed, the poor, and the elderly—have no place in politics because they don’t pay their fair share of governmental expenses. In governmental representation, it should be like these people don’t exist. Everybody knows that. But why stop there? There are plenty of other people in America whose voices shouldn’t be heard.

Anybody who has ever depended on the government for anything should not be the concern of the president. These people just have too much of a sense of entitlement to be allowed to vote in the first place.

Have you ever had to call the fire department? Stop asking the government to hold your hand and put out the fire yourself, or else you don’t deserve a voice in politics.

If you went to the DPS and actually tested for a driver’s license, you rely on the government too much to have a right to use the highway system. True Americans drive without any licensing or drivers education classes, with both feet on the gas pedal and freedom steering the way.

Have you ever had to call the police? That’s just lazy. Why should a governmental organization designed to protect people have to protect anybody? If you’ve ever called the police to do anything other than break up the Occupy protesters on your lawn, you rely too much on the government and do not deserve a say in how it functions.

So Romney, yes I strongly disagree with your outright dismissal of the value of half the country. Instead, you should have dismissed 99 percent of the country, or at least a good three-fourths. In the future, I hope you have the courage to have a quote accidentally leaked from a secret private fundraiser saying that it isn’t your job to worry about people who don’t bother to hire their own lobbyists to Congress, or at least donate a few million dollars to their favorite candidate. Anybody who doesn’t spend enough money to significantly influence the government’s legislation just doesn’t have a vested interest in the American government.

After all, your voice doesn’t really matter in America unless you avoid income taxes through honest means like Mitt Romney. Being poor or old or unemployed shouldn’t ever let you pay less money in taxes. Only being rich should do that. That’s the beauty of America.

View Comments (2)