Best Buddies holds Halloween walkathon

The Best Buddies club held its “Best Buddies Walkathon” on Saturday, October 27. The Halloween-themed walkathon serves as the primary fundraiser for Best Buddies.

“I think it’s a fun event to start our school year off,” Best Buddies sponsor Katie Dolan said. “The walkathon is our only fundraiser, so it’s especially important. But really, all of our events are important because they help the students of the school to connect.”

During the walkathon, Best Buddies members walked around the school’s hallways wearing Halloween costumes, in a parade, collecting Halloween candy along the way. The walkathon raises funds through donations for the activities that the club will have throughout the rest of the school year.

“It’s my first year of doing the walkathon,” sophomore Kevin Hughes said. “It’s going to be fun because of all the candy.”

The Best Buddies Walkathon is an annual tradition for the Cinco Ranch branch of Best Buddies.

“We’ve been doing the Best Buddies Walkathon at Halloween every year for at least as long as I’ve been a teacher at Cinco Ranch High School,” Dolan said.

According to the official website for the Texas chapter of Best Buddies, “the mission of Best Buddies is to establish a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one relationships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.” It is a nonprofit organization. The Cinco Ranch branch of Best Buddies is comprised of students who make friends with their “buddies” from the school’s Therapeutic Intervention Program (TIP).

“I’m glad to be in a group that makes friends for people with disabilities,” freshman Daniela Delatorre said. “It’s my first year in Best Buddies, but I’m already excited about everything we’re doing this year.”

Prior to walking around the school, Best Buddies members made Halloween-themed crafts, decorating paper trick-or-treat bags to carry the candy they collected during the walkathon, while Halloween songs such as “The Monster Mash” played in the background. The walkathon lasted from about 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.

“I think that Best Buddies is really important because it’s a great way to integrate students with disabilities with other students,” best Buddies president senior Allie Cash said. “Best Buddies is a great way to get the entire school involved in the spirit of friendship.”