Joseph Kohlmaier

Senior Follows in Band Director’s Footsteps

Avery Wang

Senior Joseph Kohlmaier (middle) competes in a December marching band competition.

Celeste Hoover, Co-Editor in Chief

“I never would’ve considered becoming a band director without the energy they have and that they impart on their students. They’ve inspired me to pursue what I love and share that love with as many people as I can. ”

Senior clarinet player Joseph Kohlmaier plans to pursue a career in the musical arts at the University of Houston next fall. Inspired by the example of his Cinco Ranch band directors, Kohlmaier will major in Music Education and hopes to teach future high school students. 

“I am planning on attending the University of Houston for plenty of reasons,” Kohlmaier said. “They are one of the best schools in Texas for students majoring in music education, and some of the band directors that I know went there and praised the school for setting them up for success in their career. I will be a fourth generation student there, and a large portion of my family has a degree from the University of Houston. I’ve grown up going to their football and basketball games with my family, and it already feels like home.” 

After seven years spent playing the clarinet, Kohlmaier is excited to continue his musical career throughout college.

“I enjoyed [band] from the get-go,” Kohlmaier said. “It helped me make new friends in a big school. While I initially thought that my [junior high] directors were a little crazy, they ended up helping to shape me into who I am today.”

Our band program taught me that the more that you put into something, the more you can get out of it.

— Joseph Kohlmaier

Some of Kohlmaier’s best high school memories involve his time spent in the Wind Ensemble band. After an unusual year, he said it was a relief to get back to normal within band.

“The band really is like a massive family,” Kohlmaier said. “Of course you have people in your family that you don’t get along with, but they’re still family. This is the best example of us being a family.”

Band leaders were required to institute additional safety protocols during the marching band and performance season this year. Students were required to wear masks, wipe down seats and stands before and after class, and maintain six feet distancing during football games. 

“Our students have worked through these challenges with focus and perseverance,”  assistant band director Rory Davis said. “They’ve had to be extremely flexible but they have done it with a great heart.”

Despite this, Kohlmaier succeeded in getting a one, the highest score, in the Concert and Sight Reading UIL competition, as well as attending over three marching competitions and two concerts this year.

“My favorite band memory has to be during my sophomore year,” Kohlmaier said. “When we got third during area preliminaries. It was significantly higher than anyone expected, considering our goal was to make it in the top 10. I genuinely didn’t believe the first people that told me. It was simply amazing.”

Kohlmaier hopes to take the lessons he learned from the CRHS band with him beyond graduation and inspire a new generation of similarly dedicated student musicians. 

“The best thing that I can take away is the importance of dedication and effort,” Kohlmaier said. “Our band program taught me that the more that you put into something, the more you can get out of it. I also am fortunate enough to take away some really good friends that I know I’ll have for a lifetime.”

Kohlmaier knows that the lessons he learned from the mentors that inspired him will last a lifetime. 

“If I could describe Joseph in one word, it would be dedicated,” Davis said. “Joseph is always trying to improve his music skill and knowledge. My advice to him would be to always remain focused on your goals and enjoy the process.”