Flame test amazes chemistry classes

Joanne Chavali, News Editor

• Safety first! Students line up and prepare their goggles to wear before heading over to their lab stations.

• Mrs. Driver gives careful instruction to her students on the chemicals and how to handle them.

• A sophomore attempts to light Bunsen burners to start off their experiment.

• The experiment starts with a flash as a student successfully ignites the gas.

• Sophomore Matthew Haigwood observes the color change from a distance. All the students in the class were amazed by the vibrant colors the chemical solutions gave off.

• The light of the fire bathes the surrounding lab area in a soft pink light.

• Students took to social media to share with their friends on what they did in chemistry.

• A red flame like this one could mean that the chemical could have been a Lithium salt, a Calcium salt, or a Strontium salt.

• Sophomores watch in awe as the chemical Sodium Chloride changes the flame from blue to an intense orange.

• Angela Young organizes her lab notebook to easily identify which chemical goes with a certain color of the flame.

• The chemical is reaching its end as the wooden stick itself starts to burn and turns the fire to a normal orange.

PreAP chemistry classes tested different solutions of chemical salts to find out what their chosen mystery chemical compound was. They flame tested a total of six sticks bathed in a solution of salts before they observed their mystery salt. After observing the six unique colors, they burned their mystery compound and based off of their prior observations, they could determine which chemical the mystery salt was. Chemistry teachers use this experiment in the classroom to show students how the outward characteristics of chemicals are affected and changed under certain circumstances. This experiment is done annually in all PreAP chemistry classes at the beginning of the second six weeks.