Dealing With College Decision Anxiety

Oliver Capito, Editor in Chief

With the April 1st deadline rapidly approaching, many seniors will log on to portals and check their regular admission decisions. And while numerous Youtube videos and Tiktoks of students reacting to their acceptance letters, many other students open their portals to find something along the lines of

“Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission into the 2023-2024 class.”

After getting deferred from one of my target universities, I began to question my abilities as a student and a person. Was I not good enough for tem? Was it my fault? What could I have done better in my years of high school to get a better chance of acceptance? It took me a few weeks to realize that a university rejection has nothing to do with my character as a person, and that I’m no lesser a person because of the letter. That’s why, as regular decision approaches, I want to encourage students to stay confident, no matter what your college letter says.

Admissions Anxiety

Due to crushing pressure to go to prestigious universities and the feeling that whatever college you get into could change your life, admissions anxiety has risen sharply within the United States. Many students feel pressure to get into a selective university so they could impress their parents, have bragging rights, or simply because it’s their dream school. Sometimes, the pressure could come from outside sources, such as parents who constantly talk about college with their kids. These combined with the months long wait from application submission to decision builds up plenty of tension of getting accepted. It’s understandable why a rejection could be debilitating.

However, it’s important to realize that you are a three-dimensional person. No college application can truly describe who you are as a person. Neither can a room of college admissions officers see your true character based on our GPA, extracurriculars, and a 500 word essay. Just because you didn’t get into one of your colleges doesn’t mean you are worth any less. If anything, it’s the university’s loss.