Looking Sharp

Robotics kicks off competition season with hair spikes and a bang

Back to Article
Back to Article

Looking Sharp

Photo courtesy of CRyptonite Parent Booster

Celeste Hoover and Jordyn Guzman

This past weekend, the CRyptonite 624 Robotics team participated in the Austin District Competition Event and won the Entrepreneurship Award, a first for the robotics team, and captured the event  alliance championship as well as other individual recognition too.

According to booster parent Mike Outlaw, CRyptonite 624 finished seventh overall during on-field competition in 12 preliminary matches against 36 other teams, then headed to finals. Following their performance in Sandstorm tasks, Competition Play, and End Game Level 2 Climb the squad was picked by the #2 seed, Team 2468 Appreciate, for Finals Competition. The other Finals partner, Team 3834 Crab-bots, rounded out the alliance.

“The Alliance of 624, 2468 and 3824 made it thru quarterfinals and semifinals to then face the #5 Alliance of Team 3005 RoboChargers, Team 2714 BBQ, and Team 2158 AusTIN CANs in the finals. It took the full three hard played matches for Cinco’s alliance to come out on top,” Outlaw said on the team’s blog.

In addition to the Entrepreneurship Award, sponsored by Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield, and Byers, the squad won the Safety Award sponsored by Underwriters Lab by demonstrating a safety program that covers safety requirement, training, and documenting/sharing near miss safety lessons learned.

Junior Anuraag Routray was selected as the Dean’s List Texas District Championship Semifinalist, allowing him to compete against other semifinalists from across the state at the Texas State Championship and a chance at winning the Dean’s List World Champion at Worlds Championship in Houston later this spring.

43 other CRHS CRyptonite 624 students participated in the Austin UIL Robotics District Robotics Championship.

About the Writers
Celeste Hoover, Design Editor

If you’re reading this, be sure to congratulate Celeste Hoover, she finally made it onto the County Line staff!  Celeste has always wanted...

Jordyn Guzman, News Editor

Jordyn Guzman is returning to the County Line staff for her second year.  How did she survive sophomore year? Don’t ask her. She wouldn't be able to...