Willow Fork Park opens by school

Joanne Chavali and Madison Ratcliff

Community members celebrate the official opening of Willow Fork Park with food, fun and game. The park technically opened early last November, but they hosted the grand opening April 1.

Construction for a new public park next to the school was completed early last November, but the official grand opening is scheduled for Saturday, April 1. Though the 32-acre public park has benefited the entire community, some organizations that are particularly excited are the cross country teams and the AP Environmental Science classes.

“We’re definitely going to be using it, for sure,” girl’s cross country Coach Mathis said. “It’s obviously going to be open to the public, but I don’t imagine a lot of people from the public to be there at six o’clock in the morning on a weekday.”

The planners for the park asked all the cross country coaches in KISD for their ideas on how they wanted the trails and paths to look, so it will be made especially for cross country meets and practices. If the park is made with respect to the coaches’ advice it could make practice much safer for the runners.

“Having somewhere where the kids don’t have to run through stoplights and traffic early in the morning is always a good thing,” Mathis said. “So yeah, it’s gonna be pretty nice, being able to hold meets there and whatnot.”

While the athletic department is planning to use the park so is Mrs. Peffley’s APES class. They intend to incorporate the park into their future lesson plans.

“It’s going to be cool,” Peffley said. “I’m visualizing this whole photographic diary where we photograph the area and watch it change over time. There’s lots of things we could do in terms of sampling organisms, determining the biodiversity in the area.”