Running for the cure

Students to host annual charity run

The second annual Kilometers to Combat Cancer race will be on Saturday, April 11 outside the school. The  event is completely student-organized.

The second annual Kilometers to Combat Cancer race will be on Saturday, April 11 outside the school. The event is completely student-organized.

Courtesy of Lindsey Li

Courtesy of Lindsey Li

Samuel Teas, Staff Writer

For some, running is recreation. For others, it’s exercise.

But for people like senior and Head Director Lindsey Li, it’s about cancer.

On Saturday, April 11th, Li, along with fellow senior and Director Alexandra Du, will oversee the annual Kilometers to Combat Cancer 5K and Fun Run. Around 200 people are expected to show up for the student organized event.

“The experience our runners enjoy the most is spending time with their families through exercise while feeling good about their contribution to our community and cancer research at large,” Li said.

These contributions come in the form of donations to the American Cancer Society. Last year, $9,600 was raised.

“Unlike most other charity organizations, we donated 100 percent of our proceeds to the American Cancer Society and as such, start from $0 each year,”  Li said. “Though this makes the beginning of each planning season more hectic and stressful, we believe in the empowerment of a community united and aim to host a bigger and better race every year.”

However, raising funds for cancer research isn’t the only purpose of the event.  There’s also a legacy to uphold.

“Many of the seniors on the board of directors lost a friend and classmate [Carson Broussard] a little over a year ago to leukemia and we wish to honor his memory through our efforts towards this race,” Li said. “We will have a Team Carson bone marrow donation booth set up at our race, run by Carson Broussard’s friends. Anyone over the age of 18 should consider donating.”

It’s hard for most to imagine life with cancer. But from Li’s point of view, races like these are progress for all of those whose lives have been affected in such a way.

“Our vision for this race is to unite the community through the ideals of health and compassion,” Li said. “In the grand scheme, we wish to contribute a small role to potentially finally discovering a cure for cancer.”

All CRHS students can register for the race here or during lunches for a $5 dollar discount. The 5K is $40, group/team sign-up is $35 per person, and sign-up for the one mile fun-run is $25. Radio host Sarah Pepper and her crew from HOT 95.7 radio station will be at the race entertaining the crowd. Sponsors include Grimaldi’s, Genghis Grill, Venetian Nail Spa, and Luke’s Locker. Four fundraisers at Mooyah preceded the event.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Running for the cure”

1. Joanne C on April 10th, 2015 8:30 pm

Great job Sam! loved the intro

[Reply]

Samuel Teas Reply:

Thank you!

[Reply]

• Running for the cure

Features

Seniors enter business world with entrepreneurial endeavors

• Running for the cure

Features

Cards for a cause

• Running for the cure

Features

District introduces ‘Naviance’ to help students prepare for college and career

• Running for the cure

Features

Greetings, Greetings

• Running for the cure

Features

Hope in the face of Huntington’s

• Running for the cure

Features

Students pink out to support cancer cause

• Running for the cure

Features

Constant creativity

• Running for the cure

Clubs

Head over wheels for robotics

• Running for the cure

Clubs

A penny for their thoughts

• Running for the cure

Features

Students experience career-based classes at Miller Career Center

Running for the cure