Billie Eilish branches out with “bury a friend”

Artist releases stand out song that sets her apart from the rest

Back to Article
Back to Article

Billie Eilish has only skyrocketed in the music industry since her first album,

Billie Eilish has only skyrocketed in the music industry since her first album, "don't smile at me."

Jordyn Guzman, News Editor

Billie Eilish has skyrocketed up to the forefront of pop and alternative music. Her eccentric style and soothing voice have made her a favorite among fans of many genres, with some even comparing her to innovative artists such as Nirvana. Her latest release, “bury a friend,” is haunting in all the right ways.

In an interview, Billie stated in a press release, “bury a friend’ is literally from the perspective of the monster under my bed. If you put yourself in that mindset, what is this creature doing or feeling? I also confess that I’m this monster, because I’m my own worst enemy. I might be the monster under your bed too.” Billie poses multiple questions throughout the song, supposedly towards the monster. The dark tone of the song is only amplified with the music video accompanying it. The visuals are monochromatic, centering on the colors black and white, adding to the menacing theme. She is grappled and tossed around by multiple gloved hands. Her shirt being clawed off her back with multiple syringes piercing into her skin, Billie seems “not human” in a sense, potentially representing how much she has been drained in her career. She is in a trance, eyes dull and movements staggered. In one scene, her pale, lifeless body is seen floating down a hall. The setting of a dark home contributes to the understanding that these are her personal thoughts and emotions.

The song is heavily focused on production rather than raw vocals and instrumentals. It starts off with a lulling rhythmic beat, which falls into line with the dark aesthetic. However, It is interrupted by human shrieks throughout. Effects such as glass shattering and a stapler clicking down add to the anxious vibe as the song progresses. The song has multiple different feelings to it. It has fast paces as well as slow elements too. The variation allows for the song not to wear out quickly and for listeners to not get bored. It is so drastically different from anything she has ever produced. “don’t smile at me,” Billie’s debut album, is completely set apart from this song, more specifically where this upcoming album seems to be going.

Time and time again, Billie Eilish’s innovative tracks have pushed the boundaries of mainstream pop. Her realest, most dark emotions are conveyed through her music. This is what sets apart and defines her from her contemporaries (copy/paste pop artists). Her album, “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” is set to release on March 29.

5/5