Resurgence of Classic Rock Follows The Release of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of IMDb

Courtesy of IMDb

Courtesy of IMDb

Courtesy of IMDb

Jordyn Guzman, News Editor

Growing up, I was exposed to classic rock, and classic rock only. Thanks to my mother, who was also raised on it. As I have become older I have undeniably developed a casual affinity for bands such as Def Leppard, The Who, Journey, and singers such as Billy Idol and David Bowie. When I first found out about Bohemian Rhapsody, I had been dragged to a showing of Jurassic World by a friend. While sitting in silence during the previews, that one in particular caught my eye. As a self proclaimed music aficionado, I have been a casual fan of Queen my entire life. Bohemian Rhapsody caters to exactly that. It is a film made for casual fans, intending to give a little more insight into how they came about.

Opening with a classic rock rendition of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare, Bohemian Rhapsody is quick to immerse viewers into the film. It starts off in 1970’s era London, showing a young Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek)  meeting a subpar, struggling rock band called Smile, which consists of drummer Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy) and guitarist Brian May (Gwilym Lee). Suddenly the lead singer quits, and Freddie, charismatic and flamboyant, is quick to fill his spot with his golden vocal skills. That is how Queen, now arguably one of the most successful and legendary classic rock bands to ever have graced the earth, formed, or so the movie says.

The film delves into the life of Freddie Mercury and how Queen rose to fame. More Freddie than the rest of them, but considering the fact that he has the most complex backstory, that was a wise decision on his part. In doing this, there are a few timing inconsistencies within the film (It’s easy to understand that they did so for cinematic reasons and wanting to condense the timeline, but even so.).But again, this is where the “casual fan” theory comes into play. To the diehards, it is easy to spot these discrepancies, where as being someone who only hears them on the radio or on TV, it can be perceived as truth.

As for handling topics such as Freddie’s sexuality and HIV/AIDS, it is done excellently. Personally, I was a bit skeptical they would attempt to downplay topics such as these, but they handled it professionally and as accurately as they could have without basing the film on assumptions.

The film ends with an amazing recreation of Queen’s 1985 LiveAid performance. It is a truly awe inspiring moment in the film. They implemented all of the smallest details from the sound techs pressing the “do not touch” button to alter the sound to the studded leather band that Mercury had around his upper arm.

Bohemian Rhapsody is the catalyst for a small resurgence in the classic rock genre In a time where it is slowly fading due too mainstream pop and rap. It is highly refreshing to see “Queen” as the trending searches on iTunes and Twitter. That is just what we needed. It is an excellent tribute not to just Freddie Mercury, but the entire band and their legacy. While it may have slight inconsistencies with timing, it is not very noticeable in the film. It is a beautiful film that enacts a wide range of emotions. It is able to bring together the casuals and the diehards and unite people through their love for music.

5/5