Winter activities on a budget

1. You can go to any dollar store and find string and flitter and other little things to make your very own Christmas ornament. Not only is it affordable, but ornaments are treasures that can be saved and passed on for genertions.

2. Although a white Christmas is unheard of in Texas, you can still make your own snowman out of simple craft supplies. Cotton balls, construction paper, glitter and glue will add up to form Frosty’s twin.

3. Gingerbread houses are a holiday tradition dating back to the 11th century. They are fun to make and even more fun to eat. You can buy a kit at the store or make the dough and icing yourself. Get creative, maybe even have a contest with your friends to see whose houses tastes the best.

4. Give back this holiday season and volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Many people do not have the means to a large dinner or glittering gifts under the tree. Help to make someone else’s holiday special.

5. Driving around to look at dazzling holiday lights and the festive adornments is an easy, cheap way to have fun