Bravo presents its spin on musical

The Cinco Ranch High School Bravo Show Choir is currently preparing for its performance of “The World Goes ‘Round,” a medley of musical performances written by John Kander and Fred Ebb. The 24 members will begin their first performance of the year, at 7:30 p.m. on September 20.

The show is a compilation of the various musical pieces Kander and Ebb composed, featuring various musical styles.

“They did a good job of putting the show together,” Bravo director Dorothy Wilson said. “It represents shows such as ‘New York, New York,’ ‘Cabaret,’ ‘Chicago,’ and some lesser known shows, making it fun and fast paced.”

Even though the original revue debuted in 1991, Bravo members expect the audience to be thoroughly entertained by the performance.

“I still remember when the song “My Coloring Book” came out,” Wilson said. “But it will appeal to high school students just as much as to adults, and grandparents.”

This year, Bravo hired a professional choreographer in order to help with the show. Even though only a few members have taken professional dance lessons, Mrs. Wilson expressed how impressed she is by how easily the dancers grasped concepts and routines.

“There are skates on stage,” third year member Eric Morgan said. “I think this is the first time it has been done in this show.”

According to returning members, this year has been a bit different from previous years in regards to chemistry within the group.

“We have started becoming more of a family sooner than we have in the past,” returning member Hannah Ballard said. “Everyone has found a place in the show, so when we act on stage and do certain numbers it is easier to interact and be comfortable around each other.”

This year’s Bravo group has a different style from that of previous groups. Its dynamics as a group will begin to show in the process of putting the shows together.

“When we had our last bravo rehearsal last year we talk about how it is the end of that bravo,” Wilson said. “Returning members take everything they learned and come back in august, but it’s new, and so are they a lot of the time.”

Before the school year begins Bravo members come to the school and take part in the famous lock-in. Games and activities take place during the entire night as a way to create connections between each member.

“The close, tight family feel helps us be more focused and more efficient,” Morgan said.

Wilson believes that their spin on these classic musicals will turn the audience’s world around.

“We want the show to entertain the audience so that the people that come have a great time and they walk away humming melodies, feeling uplifted by what they have seen,” Wilson said.