Katy ISD Should Extend School Closure to Monday, May 4, 2020

Photo courtesy of https://www.cdc.gov/media/subtopic/images.htm

President Donald Trump extended social distancing guidelines through April 30.

Yoonsoo (Seth) Choi, Staff Writer

President Donald Trump recanted his earlier statement of reopening parts of the country by Easter, March 29, 2020, and announced today that he would be extending social distancing measures to April 30 heeding warnings of experts that SARS-CoV-2 could result in 200,000 deaths. Katy ISD should extend the school closure to Monday, May 4, 2020.

Trump estimates that the US will hit the peak for the number of SARS-CoV-2 patients in two weeks, which will coincide with the week students are expected to return to school. It would be irresponsible for the district to make students go to school when the threat of SARS-CoV-2 is the most severe. 

The social distancing measures recommend a gathering of no more than 10 people and keeping a distance of six feet between people. Reopening schools would mean a gathering of thousands of students, which would be a clear violation of the guidelines. Moreover, overcrowded hallways would make it impossible to keep a distance of six feet. 

Finally, the district already has the infrastructure to continue school online. The district has been checking out electronic devices to students so that everyone has a leveled playing field. Furthermore, the district’s free meal program has provided thousands of healthy meals for struggling families.

Katy ISD should follow the social distancing guidelines by extending the school closure to Monday, May 4, 2020, to put the health of students and staff first.