Student plea for a defined dress code

Maura Rowell, Entertainment Editor

When it comes to dress code it seems that the key phrase is “administrative discretion”, making the 6 A.M. debate between jeans and the ever-alluring comfort of Nike shorts rather exhausting. Students and faculty deserve to have a better understanding of the dress code.
Based upon the increasing amount of students donning the horrendous, gray dress code sweatpants in the hallways, it is becoming increasingly clear that students and faculty alike are unsure of exactly what “mid-thigh” means. This is where frustration for both parties becomes an issue. What one teacher or administrator may consider mid-thigh may seem completely provocative to another teacher. Additionally, students and parents often share a different understanding of the appropriate length and purchase clothing that they believe to be acceptable. It is difficult for both groups to make definite decisions because there is not a definite answer.
With this being said, I do not find that dress code should become more strict. Rather, dress code should uphold its original purpose in creating a safer, more uniform enviroment by allowing students to wear non-offensive apparel. I simply believe that “non-offensive” should be defined clearly so that students and teachers will be able to clearly determine whether an outfit is school acceptable.