Swim Team Culminates Season at State Meet

Senior Sophie Bernal and girls’ relay garner Cinco point total

Photo by Abigail Fosburgh

Cinco swimmers and divers culminate the season at the state meet Feb. 14-15

Yoonsoo (Seth) Choi, Staff Writer

The varsity swimming and diving team competed at the State Meet in Austin Feb. 12-14. The top six swimmers and divers from four regions in each swimming event advanced to State. After preliminaries, the top eight athletes advanced to Championship Finals while ninth through 16th place athletes competed in Consolation Finals. 

“This is my third time competing at state, but it was the first time I also did an individual event,” senior Emma Williams said. “This year was different because we didn’t have the same seniors so the dynamic was different. I’m really proud of everyone, and I love all my friends on the team. It was fun getting to hang out with the girls and dance to music and eat good food. I’m going to miss them all so much next year.”

In the girl’s 50-yard freestyle, senior Sophie Bernal made consolation finals and placed 16th. Her preliminary time was 24.15 and her final time was 24.38. She earned one team point. In the girls’ 100 yard freestyle, Williams placed 21st with a preliminary time of 53.39. In the girls’ 200-yard freestyle relay preliminary, Bernal, senior Kaylie Berkman, sophomore Delaney Vacek, and Williams placed 20th with a preliminary time of 1:40.15. In the girls’ 400-yard freestyle relay prelims, Bernal, senior Maya Robles, junior Linsey Watson, and Williams made consolation finals and placed 16th. Their preliminary time was 3:36.56, and their final time was 3:35.43. They earned two points. The girls’ team earned a school total of three points.

In the boys’ 200-yard freestyle relay, sophomore Brandon Guo, junior Noah Kyaw, juniors Sebastian Silva and Will Betts placed 19th. Their preliminary time was 1:27.40.