Nothing But Net

Cinco Ranch Boys Varsity Basketball team opens season with a 9-5 record

Trinity Smith

Senior Jayden Collymore dishes off in a 2018 game against Katy. Collymore leads a senior dominated squad into the 2019-20 season.

Irene Arinze, Staff Writer

The 2019-2020 season for the Cinco Ranch Boys Varsity Basketball team is quickly picking up momentum as the Cougars head off to compete in the first non-conference and neutral games of the year. 

In their most recent game on December 7th, the Cinco Ranch Cougars’ strong start in the first half led to a 78-55 win against Katy High School. The Cougars will head to Sugar Land for their next tournament against Fort Bend Kempner on December 10th. Despite a few setbacks, Cinco Ranch Boys Basketball Coach Neil King is confident in the team’s ability to move forward and achieve their goals.

“So far, the team has played extremely well and we are confident we can continue our winning ways,” Coach King said. “Unfortunately, we have had some major injuries to start the season but the team has played extremely well and we are confident we can continue to do well.”

Last season, the Cinco Ranch Boys varsity team was one game shy of advancing to Area after scoring 65-66 against Fort Bend Travis at Bi-Districts. With the hopes of topping their performance from last year, the Cinco Ranch basketball Cougars are making an effort this season to win a district championship and eventually advance to the UIL playoffs in Spring 2020. 

“We can always learn from experience.” King said. “Jayden, Derek, Braedon and Chris know what it takes to compete at the highest level because of their experiences from last year.  We had a very successful season last year but this team wants to leave its own legacy at Cinco Ranch High School and our basketball program.”

While the Cinco Ranch Varsity Basketball Cougars work towards their meeting their goals this season, they are also forming a strong bond as a team.

“The team really enjoys hanging out with each other.” King said. “They are friends on and off the court.  We spend a lot of time together in practice, locker room, film study, games, tournaments and team dinners.  They are making lifelong friends with their experiences in athletics and they are a family.”