You Just Got Served

Varsity Volleyball spikes its way to first place in district

Trinity Smith

Senior Madalyn O’Brien makes an offensive move at the net against Seven Lakes in the first meeting of the two schools Sept. 17. Varsity begins the second half of district play with a 7-0 mark on a top 25 state ranking.

Nicholas Gordon, Staff Writer

True champions believe in the impossible and though winners in life don’t always win, their secret is to never give up. Cinco Ranch sports participants exhibit these attributes and the Varsity Volleyball team is a good example. After cruising strongly through the non-conference schedule and the first half of district play, this squad boasts a 28-5 record and top 25 state ranking. 

Their latest victory came Tuesday, Oct. 8 over Mayde Creek. The team now has an 18 match win streak. Although they have played well, head coach Danielle Wells strives to get her players to become more consistent at improving any weaknesses.  

“This includes ball control, adding more variety to who gets action when scoring and making less predictable movements and plays throughout the match,” Wells said.

With the strong season record, Coach Wells expects the squad to continue drawing media attention and the best effort from opponents. That said, the team’s focus is still on attaining preseason goals.

“We want to make it to State and at least place top 4. We want to achieve more than last year to ensure progress in our program,” Wells said.  “This team is already doing exceedingly well.” 

Coach Wells, who succeeded assistant principal Tammy Laurence as head volleyball coach in 2011 is motivated and genuinely enjoys connecting with the team.

“Since I was in college I’ve enjoyed coaching, volleyball, and being around kids in general, so this is my mixture of the three,” Wells said.

The Cougars sit atop the UIL 19-6A district with a 7-0 district record and will face off against Seven Lakes for the second time this season tonight at home with JV/Freshman A at 4:30. Freshman B and Varsity start at 5:30 pm.