Varsity FB Starts New Season 1-1

Brynne Herzfeld, Voice Editor

Cinco began the 2016 season with a 42-35 loss against Cy Ranch on Friday, August 26. Safety and captain Ben Mathiasmeier scored the first touchdown of the game in the first quarter for Cinco, but Cy-Ranch quickly followed suit and ended the first quarter with a 7-7 tie. Cy-Ranch opened the second quarter with a touchdown to pull ahead 14-7. Cinco scored a touchdown courtesy of wide receiver Greg Williams in the second quarter, but Cy-Ranch cinched their lead with a touchdown with a little over a minute on the clock and one more touchdown in the last three seconds of the second quarter, bringing the score to 28-14. The second half started with Williams scoring another touchdown for Cinco, but the gap widened as Cy-Ranch scored once in the third quarter and twice in the fourth quarter, while Cinco scored only two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter by Williams and quarterback Brant Kuithe, bringing the final score to 42-35.

However, Cinco bounced back to win 42-30 against Jersey Village on Thursday, September 1. The action was slow in the first half with only one touchdown per team, as running back Ethan Cook scored a touchdown for Cinco in the second quarter, settling the score at 7-7. The game picked up in the third quarter as Cook scored once again, followed by a touchdown for Jersey Village. Another touchdown for Cinco by Ben Mathiasmeier preceded a field goal for Jersey Village, while  one more touchdown  by Williams brought  the score to 21-10 Cinco as the game entered the final quarter. Cinco snagged two touchdowns in a row by wide receiver Blake Gordon and Kuithe respectively. Though Jersey Village scored twice more, they failed to capture a lead with extra points and the game ended with a 42-30 victory for the Cinco Ranch Cougars.
The next Cinco football game will be Thursday, September 8 at Rhodes Stadium against Memorial High School.