Katy ISD Extends School Closures to April 13

Katy ISD has postponed resuming in-person instruction until April 13. Other local districts, such as Alief ISD, Channelview ISD, Fort Bend ISD, and Houston ISD, have also extended closures.

Donovan Nichols, News Writer

KatyISD announced today it was updating its school closure policy to at least Monday, April 13 due to the continued spread of COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area.

“As you know, the information regarding the prevention and spread of COVID-19 has been evolving daily, while reported cases in the Greater Houston area have gradually increased,” Katy ISD said in an email.  “The CDC has already recommended social distancing protocols, and is now asking the public to comply with directives to limit gatherings to ten people or less and implement multi-week school closures for a minimum of four weeks to mitigate the spread of the virus.  With these priorities in mind, Katy ISD will be postponing the opening of its schools until at least Monday, April 13.”

Katy ISD stated that this extended closure would allow for more data about COVID-19 to be collected, which Katy ISD will use to decide whether to resume in-person schooling or extend school closures. Online schooling will begin next week, on Monday, March 23. Katy ISD will provide students and parents with further information about online classes Wednesday, March 18. Pre-K through twelfth grade students and parents will also receive a schedule on Friday to review over the weekend for online classes.

Katy ISD will also continue to provide free school breakfasts and lunches to children ages 0-18.