Muslim Student Association (MSA) kicks off their reformed club with a potluck

The leadership rolls out new plans for the organization

courtesy of MSA

Club members posed for a picture after the end of the trivia game.

Sarah Sheikh, Features Editor

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) held their first potluck Monday afternoon. The event consisted of educational games, and discussions on personal experiences that allowed members to learn about Islam. The club’s mission is to inform others about the messages in the Quran (Islamic holy book), and to host Jummah prayer every Friday after school to allow Muslim students, who cannot not leave school to pray, to be able to perform the 2nd prayer of the day right after school. Vice President of the club, Sumaya Siddiqui, is behind the new structure of our chapter of the MSA.

“The purpose of Muslim Student Association is to unite students together and build a stronger community”, Siddiqui said. “MSA is a place where the Muslim students from our school can find other students who share their beliefs, and practice Islam together. Islam encourages us to serve our community, and spread the truth. Therefore MSA is also a place where anyone, Muslim or not, is welcome to join and learn more about the religion. In turn, Muslim students also learn more about other faiths and views. We believe that if all students are more aware of one another’s faiths and ideas, the overall student body benefits greatly.”

The main drive to reorganize this club was to allow the student body to take advantage of the resources they are being provided, in an effort to educate about the Islamic faith.

“Getting involved with MSA is a great way to clear away any misinformation about Muslims that may have circulated to some”, Siddiqui said. “In recent years, there have been many portrayals of Muslims and Islam in the media. Many different sources make claims about Islam and what is stands for. Some of these claims are not founded on the truth. Imagine how if feels seeing your faith targeted based on false information. That is why we invite everyone to come to MSA and have active discussions with actual Muslim people. MSA plans to host an Islam Q & A event open to everyone, so if you’re interested keep an eye out for it.”

Other than the educational component of the club, the atmosphere of this organization is light, and full of team building and bonding activities. It is a convenient way to socialize with your peers while making  productive use of time.

“For me, the best part about MSA is definitely the friendships,” Siddiqui said. “The club offers students a chance to make friends with those that come from all around the globe, with many unique voices and accents. Without MSA, I would never have known there were so many great people walking around in our hallways. MSA has also opened the door for some enlightening interfaith discussions and friendships. I’ve learned that we all really do have more in common than it seems. We are more united than divided, but without building bridges, we’d never know. MSA serves as that bridge, and much more.”