Five Cougar Wrestlers State-bound

Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Cougar wrestling teams returned from regionals at Paetow High School on Feb. 17 and 18 with five state qualifying wrestlers and a third place trophy for the boys’ team. Seniors Kayla De Leon and Zyire Ardoin secured their places at state by taking Regional Champion titles in their weight classes, and De Leon was voted Girls Most Outstanding Wrestler.

Senior Reagan Prevatt and junior Richie Azbill took third place in their respective weight classes, joined by senior Jack Allen taking fourth place, earning each a spot at the state tournament. Two boys, senior Zach Zarvos and junior Alex Mier, were named state alternates, receiving fifth in their weight classes. Finally, Coach Luke McConn was voted Boys Regional Assistant Coach of the Year.

A send-off will be held for the wrestling teams on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 2:20 p.m. as they leave for the state tournament in Cypress, Texas.

About the Writer
Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Brynne has almost run out of clever biography ideas. She has recycled a couple lines from her previous biographies.

When she’s not slaving away over her history notes or staring at a blank screen for hours while trying to start her article, she’s working on her fiction stories, sketching, creating digital art, keeping up with her favorite YouTubers, and adamantly continuing to use the Oxford comma outside of journalistic writing. Brynne volunteers at a wildlife center, and if you want to know what it feels like to have a baby squirrel skitter up your arm and onto your neck , just ask. She has also had a possum haul itself onto her head. She is apparently a jungle gym for critters. Brynne’s the resident cartoonist, representing her grievances or humorous encounters through the characters of Kate and Zeke in her award-winning strip, “Wait, What?”.
She’s a Co-Editor-In-Chief now, which is a fun thing to be. (hopefully) After joining staff halfway through her freshman year, she’s seen just about everything that room 1221 can gently toss at you and is eagerly looking forward to seeing what it can throw. 

Brynne sometimes explodes. It’s perfectly normal.