District schedule changes due to bad weather days

Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Due to the school’s closure on Jan. 16 and Jan. 17, the district will use Monday, Feb. 19 as a make-up day and will extend the school day by ten minutes from May 14 to May 18, in accordance with state instructional time requirements.

According to state law, all Texas schools must have 75,600 minutes of instructional time during the school year. While the state did not require Katy ISD to make up the two weeks lost to Hurricane Harvey in the fall of 2017, no waivers will be provided for the two bad weather days.

Feb. 19, President’s Day, is normally a holiday, but it is also designated as a bad weather day, allowing school districts to recover instructional time lost to unforeseen circumstances. The last time a scheduled holiday has been revoked was in the 2013-2014 school year, when attendance was required on May 26, Memorial Day.

About the Writer
Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Brynne has almost run out of clever biography ideas. She has recycled a couple lines from her previous biographies.

When she’s not slaving away over her history notes or staring at a blank screen for hours while trying to start her article, she’s working on her fiction stories, sketching, creating digital art, keeping up with her favorite YouTubers, and adamantly continuing to use the Oxford comma outside of journalistic writing. Brynne volunteers at a wildlife center, and if you want to know what it feels like to have a baby squirrel skitter up your arm and onto your neck , just ask. She has also had a possum haul itself onto her head. She is apparently a jungle gym for critters. Brynne’s the resident cartoonist, representing her grievances or humorous encounters through the characters of Kate and Zeke in her award-winning strip, “Wait, What?”.
She’s a Co-Editor-In-Chief now, which is a fun thing to be. (hopefully) After joining staff halfway through her freshman year, she’s seen just about everything that room 1221 can gently toss at you and is eagerly looking forward to seeing what it can throw. 

Brynne sometimes explodes. It’s perfectly normal.