New Fieldhouse Built for Outdoor Sports

Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After ten months of construction, the school received a much-needed new field house offering increased locker room and gym space and accommodates all outdoor sports except golf. With so many female athletes, the girls benefit the most from the upgrade.

“For many years we have been short of available space, particularly locker rooms, for many of our female sports,” Athletics Director Donald Clayton said. “For many years, we have struggled to find room for all of our girls involved in sports.”

Though the original bond estimated the construction would finish in the spring of 2018, the district agreed to speed up the process due to the relatively small size of the project compared to other bond issues, such as the construction of six new schools.

“We had asked for an August 2015 start but that couldn’t be done, so they agreed to start on it in August 2016,” Clayton said. “We really needed the space as soon as we could get it.”

About the Writer
Brynne Herzfeld, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Brynne has almost run out of clever biography ideas. She has recycled a couple lines from her previous biographies.

When she’s not slaving away over her history notes or staring at a blank screen for hours while trying to start her article, she’s working on her fiction stories, sketching, creating digital art, keeping up with her favorite YouTubers, and adamantly continuing to use the Oxford comma outside of journalistic writing. Brynne volunteers at a wildlife center, and if you want to know what it feels like to have a baby squirrel skitter up your arm and onto your neck , just ask. She has also had a possum haul itself onto her head. She is apparently a jungle gym for critters. Brynne’s the resident cartoonist, representing her grievances or humorous encounters through the characters of Kate and Zeke in her award-winning strip, “Wait, What?”.
She’s a Co-Editor-In-Chief now, which is a fun thing to be. (hopefully) After joining staff halfway through her freshman year, she’s seen just about everything that room 1221 can gently toss at you and is eagerly looking forward to seeing what it can throw. 

Brynne sometimes explodes. It’s perfectly normal.