CRTC presents ‘You Can’t Take It With You’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Carly Luczak and senior Kat Terry rehearse Cinco Ranch Theatre Company's spring production

Sophomore Carly Luczak and senior Kat Terry rehearse Cinco Ranch Theatre Company's spring production "You Can't Take It With You".

Sadia Khan

Sadia Khan

Sadia Khan

Roba Abousaway, Staff Writer

Cinco Ranch Theatre Company’s spring production “You Can’t Take It With You” opens tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. The show will run through Saturday, January 24.

“You Can’t Take It With You” is the dramatic and comedic story of what happens when the children of two families with completely different morals fall in love. Alice Sycamore (Alicia Lore, 12) grew up in a house filled with good-hearted and quirky people. Tony Kirby (Joshua Shipp, 10) comes from a family of wealth and a virtue of self-importance. After Tony and his family visit the Sycamores on the wrong night, the clash of their incompatible lifestyles is inevitable.

The onstage magic of the show has come with months of preparation. Senior Natasha Tamula is Props Crew Head and knows first-hand what the months leading up to the production are like.

“We’ve been working on this show since the beginning of November and our rehearsals are pretty much every day until five,” Tamula said. “To others it might seem like such a long amount of time to be working on something, but once you’re in theatre, you know it’s a really small time frame to get everything done.”

Because of the time period that the play is set in, the technical crew faced a new challenge. Innovation with the props and costumes was truly key in making this story come to life.

“Since the play takes place during the 30s, many of the items we needed were hard to come across,” Tamula said. “That’s why I’ve been so impressed with how this crew has manipulated pieces you might have never thought of using and turning [them] into something amazing – like taking an old PlayStation box and creating a moveable tabletop printing press,” Tamula said.

This is the last production of the school year, but seniors, “You Can’t Take It With You” is their last show of their career high school career.

“Working on something different has been an incredible experience for me because I get to try my hand at something new, especially for my last show. I’ve met some amazing people and this crew really helped me remember why I love theatre,” Tamula said.

Tickets are sold in the box office located next to the Performing Arts Center. Student tickets are $8 and adult tickets are $10.

About the Writer
Roba Abousaway, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Senior Roba Abousaway is finishing up her last year of high school as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the County Line. When she is not off interviewing someone in...