Roses at the Ranch

Senior Passes Out Roses to Staff

Jordyn Guzman, Co-Editor-In-Chief

On Valentine’s day, students tend to share gifts with their close friends and significant others. However, for senior Lara Kotb, the day was spent handing out roses to under-represented  staff members. 

“It was my idea to give roses to the cafeteria ladies, custodians, as well as police officers,” Kotb said, “It was the least we could do to show our appreciation for them. I carried about 32 roses that needed to be distributed, and thanks to my amazing friends Barbara, Miral, Nikki, Argentina, Zoey, and Manuel, I was able to accomplish my goal.” 

Kotb believes the overall meaning of Valentine’s day has become somewhat diluted due to media and modern interpretations. 

“Valentines day over the years has been narrowed to celebrating the relation between oneself and a significant other or described as an awareness to many of us who are single,” Kotb said, “It has been concentrated over how ‘expensive’ it is and what is ‘missing’ in our lives, as if we must make it a priority to find that person who can shower us with.”

However, Valentine’s day is often regarded as a day to show love and appreciation to everyone, especially those who need it most. 

“I believe the real message behind Valentine’s day is about how love exists in every possible way,” Kotb said, “It doesn’t have to be limited to a romantic manner, but extended with the people we share a smile, a glance, and a simple ‘hello’. Love is the magic we can never fully grasp, yet it’s the connection that we yearn to possess”.