Painting Positivity

The honor society strives to make a difference through their creative works

Patricia Kuhn

One of the many chalk illustrations Cinco Ranch NAHS members created for the Via Colori Festival last year in November.

Irene Arinze, Staff Writer

Art is everywhere. And as a driving force behind human innovation and culture, art leaves a mark on things far beyond the brilliantly colorful canvases of its creators. Such is the case within the Cinco Ranch National Art Honor Society (NAHS), an organization whose members use their artwork to inspire positive change in the community and teach others to see the importance of creative self-expression.

“The aim of NAHS is for students of all ages and backgrounds to benefit from the creation of art, and to bring that art out into the community,” Patricia Kuhn, sponsor of the Cinco NAHS chapter, said. 

An educator of studio art for five years and an artist herself, Ms. Kuhn is heavily invested in helping others learn about that world of creative media. 

“For all of my life, I’ve been involved in creative expression. Before teaching, I played three instruments, worked in the corporate world for art for 15 years, and I got a bachelor’s in the fine arts. It’s just a part of who I am as a person. Without art, I believe a person cannot be complete. That’s why I’m so invested in helping others to create and share their art with the world,” Kuhn said. 

Two of the most notable events the Cinco Ranch NAHS chapter participates in一 the Via Colori Festival in November and face-painting at school sports games一 gives people the opportunity to share their voice and identity through their creative works. In addition to providing a creative outlet for many, these events often give back to the community in meaningful ways: the Via Colori Festival raises over $300,000 dollars annually for children at The Center for Hearing and Speech, and students benefit from being able to sport school emblems and colors on their faces while rooting for their favorite sports teams.

“Being a member has allowed me to express myself in meaningful ways,” NAHS vice president Ava Buck said. 

NAHS has been a part of Buck’s high school career for three years, and the Cinco Ranch chapter has certainly made an impact on her life一 inside and outside of the art classroom. 

“Because of what I’ve done in NAHS, I am more involved with the art community in the Greater Houston area. I can help others and make a difference by using art.” Buck said.

Becoming a part of NAHS has many benefits, including getting more opportunities to volunteer and, of course, connecting with others over a common passion for the arts. With most members of NAHS logging in over 20 hours of volunteering, joining the honor society can help increase CATS hours and gives people the chance to help others in need.

“I joined NAHS because I really bonded with Mrs. Kuhn over our passion for the arts,” NAHS officer Samantha Morellas said. “There’s this common misconception that you have to be good at drawing in order to join, but such is not the case at all. Everyone and anyone is welcome to join and share their love of the arts.”