Senior Survival Guide, Nicole’s Edition

Nicole Campbell, Staff Writer

Let’s put some things into perspective. When you’re in high school, especially a high school as competitive as this one, it’s easy to feel like the world is ending. In reality, the world is not ending. Everything will work itself out in the end. This is just high school, and yes it’s important, but don’t stress yourself to the point of burnout over it. Learn to pace yourself. Sometimes you’re going to have to turn things in late or just accept a bad grade. It’s worth it for the sake of your mental health. 

Although it can be hard to adjust to this new mindset, especially while still in a highly competitive environment, there are ways to do it. Try using affirmations and rewiring negative thoughts to be more positive. For example, when you’re thinking about how you can’t do something or you feel like a failure, try instead thinking about how you can do it, and how things will work out in the end. It’s not any easy change, and it sounds a bit silly, but it really can make a difference. Another way to help change your mindset is to be kinder to yourself. Treat yourself with the care and forgiveness that you would a stressed out friend. Practice self care, and not overworking yourself to the point of burnout, burnout is terrible, because then you can’t do any work, none at all. Especially with AP or KAP classes, the workload for the classes themselves is so overwhelming, and that’s not even including sports, clubs and other extra curriculars. Take breaks and know your limits. Sometimes you just can’t work anymore, so give yourself a break and go to sleep or eat some food. And, when you are working hard, be sure to stay hydrated and well rested. Sleep and your health should always be priority over your grades. The world will keep turning if you sacrifice an other grade for some much needed sleep. 

All in all, school is not everything. I know it can feel like it sometimes, especially with the insane amount of homework and activities, but this part of your life is temporary, so enjoy the moments with your friends and family and being young. And, take time to take care of yourself and balance your life.