Twenty One Pilots reawaken with a stunning album release

Ohio+duo+Twenty+One+Pilots+have+returned+from+their+hiatus%2C+releasing+a+solid+album+that++shows+how+much+the+band+has+developed+over+their+break.+
Ohio duo Twenty One Pilots have returned from their hiatus, releasing a solid album that  shows how much the band has developed over their break.

Ohio duo Twenty One Pilots have returned from their hiatus, releasing a solid album that shows how much the band has developed over their break.

Courtesy of Billboard

Courtesy of Billboard

Jordyn Guzman, News Editor

Taking an almost year long hiatus from music, fans anxiously awaited for so much as a tweet from Twenty One Pilots. The band has now returned and put forth an album that exemplifies their talents musically and lyrically. “Trench” may not be similar to their past albums, but for a reawakening of the band, it illuminates how much they have developed.

“Trench” has pushed the boundaries of conforming to one genre. The album switches between a multitude of sounds. Some songs, like “Jumpsuit” and “Smithereens”  have more rock influences, while others carry a more classic Twenty One Pilots sound. Many of the songs sound like they could have a spot on the track list of earlier albums such as “Vessel” or their self titled album. “Legend” and “Morph” are the most reminiscent of previous eras of the band.

“My Blood”, “Chlorine” and “Pet Cheetah” are arguably the best songs on the album. These three in particular are the most catchy and the most unique. “My Blood” and “Chlorine” are both slower songs. The lyrics to both are very meaningful and soothing. “Pet Cheetah” is very fast with rapping from Tyler Joseph being the main vocals. The lyrics are a little strange, but the pace and overall vibe of the song make the odd lyrics work. All three of these songs contribute to the album heavily.

Every album has one song in particular that is more tame than the rest. “Neon Gravestones” is intended to be that one statement making piece, but it falls short. While the lyrics may be deep and meaningful, the background music is just not fit for it. It opens with a very pretty piano melody that can be heard throughout the remainder of the song, but then transitions into the same piano part with drums provided by Josh Dun. Throughout the song, small electronic parts and sound effects have been added in.  If they would have left any and all electronic background sounds out, the song would have more of an intimate feel. During the drum break sort of section, electronic sounds would work. In fact, they are necessary to provide emphasis and intensity. In all reality, if they would have solely used traditional instruments playing this song, it would better convey the message they are trying to send to their listeners.

Despite minimal faults with background music, “Trench” is an excellent album that shows how much the duo have evolved over their year long break. This album is drastically different than any of its predecessors. All lyrical aspects of this album are excellently executed. Every song has its own redeeming qualities that overshadow any faults. “Trench” is a close to perfect release. It is one of Twenty One Pilots’ most memorable works thus far. 

9/10