La Femme concert review

Maura Rowell, Entertainment Editor

You do not have to be fluent in French to understand the hip, musical language of La Femme. From their classic-with-a-twist Parisian style to their entrancing and wacky instruments, it is nearly impossible to find them as anything less than the coolest band on the planet.

The crowd at the 11 p.m. show, a part of the French Cultures Festival at Discovery Green on March 7, was an eclectic one. From Frenchmen in business suits to American high school and college-aged students in flowered dresses and ironic t-shirts, it quickly became clear that the Biarritz-native ‘La Femme’ have fans from all over the spectrum.

“Hello, Houston!” Before beginning a performance of their first album, Psycho Tropical Berlin, the group took their place on stage and began speaking to the crowd in a mixture of French and English (Bonjour, we love Houston!).

The album, Psycho Tropical Berlin, may just be one of the most unique sounds in circulation right now. Combine chopped drum beats, lulling, synthesized guitar tracks and the unique, old-fashioned feel of Quélennec’s voice and it is no surprise that the band can be compared to little else in the music world.

The full experience seems to be what La Femme is all about, and I appreciated it wholly. Each member utilized fashion to its fullest potential, seeming to act as visual representations of their zany 1960’s beach music mixed with psychedelic New Wave sound. Most notable were keyboardist Sacha Got’s dark aviator sunglasses and leather bomber jacket, Marlon Magnée’s technicolor beach shirt and orange pants, and rhythm drummer Nunez Ritter von Merguez’s maroon beret and tank top combination.

Perhaps most entrancing was lead vocalist and the sole female performer of the group, Clémence Quélennec, who is in a league of her own. She seemed to be a hip, French version of the classic Nancy Drew. With 1920’s-style dance moves, tailored navy pants and sweater (which she soon took off to reveal a La Femme band t-shirt), and a navy blue beret, Quélennec had a nearly palpable effortlessness. The group truly looked every inch the part.

Whether New Wave French music sounds ideal or not, La Femme gives a fantastic show that performs at a non-stop peak level.