The student media of Cinco Ranch High School

County Line

Closure

Ana Medina, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

“My name is Basilio Medina. I am 50 years old. I am a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

I closed my watering eyes and turned away from the TV screen as I realized that was the first time I heard his voice in nearly five years. The last time I heard that sweet, calming voice was in the parking lot of my elementary school, and a 12 year old girl had to say goodbye to her grandpa, her hero, her best friend.

Memories began to pour back into my mind as I relived the events that led to this moment. When I was 11, my grandpa was diagnosed with brain cancer, and my whole world was flipped on its head. I spent my summer at M.D. Anderson holding Grandpa’s hand before his appointments, playing on my Nintendo DS in the waiting room, teaching and beating my little brother at card games as the hours went by, and giving directions to the new families.

During the day, I was a scared girl who would put on a brave mask for her younger brother and pull him close when things turned grim, but I faced the horrors head on.

However at night, the demons toyed with my breaking heart and terrorized my sleep with nightmares.

Our final conversation was rushed and hard since I would be hours away from him. Although I can’t remember half the things I said, I am haunted by all things I didn’t. Weeks came and left and Grandpa would not let go as if he was holding on for something, or someone. After a six hour drive, I was given the opportunity to say a proper farewell while he slept, and heaven received a great man the next morning.

I open my eyes and I am back in my childhood living room. Everyone seems to disappear and I am left alone with my beloved grandpa. Holding on to the stories he recorded in 1991, I let the tears fall and touch the corners of a bittersweet smile.

I cried tears of joy and grief and smiled at the memories I was lucky to have. Stories I had heard countless times were renewed and were that much more magical coming from Grandpa. His struggles as a child once again filled me with inspiration and perseverance. The dark tale of his poverty-struck childhood, traveling through Mexico by foot, how he meet my grandma, how he knew in that moment he was going to marry her, and others that I never heard before. The one that stood out the most was his testimony on how the Lord had changed his life and made him a man worthy of love. His message shook me to the core as I recalled he was the one who taught me what it meant to be loved.

After 30 beautiful, yet short minutes, I was forced to say goodbye once more. This time I had something to remember him by, his life story.

I took one more look around the room while the screen faded to black and could not find a single dry eye. The space next to my grandma grew wider and carried a heavy weight, so I moved to sit with her. No words needed to be spoken because our faces said it all. The time for grieving was coming to a close, so it was time to move on and create new memories in honor of him.

And with a sigh, my soul finally found closure.

Print Friendly

78 Comments

78 Responses to “Closure”

1. Leyda Castillo on February 20th, 2017 7:49 pm

Emotional, touching and very well written!! Good job Ana!!

2. Liza Garza on February 20th, 2017 7:53 pm

ANyone who lost someone can connect to this beautiful story.

3. Kathy on February 20th, 2017 7:59 pm

Beautifully written, Ana! Thank you for sharing.

4. Kathy Counterman on February 20th, 2017 11:49 pm

This is a beautifully written piece. I could feel your emotions as you reminisced about your grandfather. thank you for sharing!

5. Whitney La Rocca on February 21st, 2017 10:48 am

What a moving piece! I can tell this comes straight from the heart and is powerful in its sincerity. Keep writing like this, and you are going somewhere!

6. Mauri Austria on February 21st, 2017 11:24 am

Beautifully written! And what a wonderful way to honor your grandfather’s memory!

7. Nidia on February 22nd, 2017 12:21 am

Dear Ana, your grandfather was a remarkable men. Loved and admired by everyone!!! His legacy will continue thru your lives. I was impacted by his live in the time that I got to know him. That’s just not me but a lot of people! Love you all!!!

8. Ben on February 22nd, 2017 12:27 am

Thank you for sharing about his life. I wish I got to know him. Sounds like a wonderful men.

9. Judith Quintanilla on February 22nd, 2017 8:23 am

What a beautiful, touching story! Your love for your grandfather really shines through.

10. Nicole Williams on February 22nd, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt story in honor of your grandfather, Ana. It was very well written and it allowed others to get an inside look of the various emotions that some people often feel when they lose a loved one. Continue sharing your gift and honoring your grandfather’s memory. Awesome job, Ana!

11. Jenny Payne on February 22nd, 2017 8:02 pm

What a beautiful article! I could feel your love for your Grandad through your writing. He must be so very proud looking down on you! Keep writing, you are so very talented!

12. Fenton Luong on February 22nd, 2017 9:50 pm

A sad and touching story Ana, you’ve really drove this one into my ‘Feelz’ department. Great work!

13. Monica Cupp on February 22nd, 2017 11:51 pm

This was a great piece! Very poignant! And a wonderful reminder of how precious the times we have with our loved ones are and how important it is to record our family history.

14. Bruce Hayes on February 23rd, 2017 11:36 am

Beautifully said. You captured the memories so well.

15. Sarah Rogers on February 23rd, 2017 10:24 pm

This was such a touching story, Ana! You are such an amazing writer! I know that if your grandfather could see this, it would make him look down from Heaven and smile 🙂 Love ya girl!

16. Zulema on February 23rd, 2017 11:06 pm

Talented writer! One of my favorite tAlthough I can’t remember half the things I said, I am haunted by all things I didn’t.”

17. Miriam Devars on February 24th, 2017 11:48 am

I love the way you transmit your emotions and feelings in your writing. This is what a good author does!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

18. James on February 24th, 2017 10:26 pm

Through life we all have our metaphorical mountains to climb. Often with a rollercoaster of emotions. Although expressing those emotions can be therapeutic for many it can often be difficult. Ana you expressed yourself perfectly in a way that inspires me. Thank you for sharing.

19. Melissa K on February 24th, 2017 10:36 pm

He left a wonderful legacy for you. Really enjoyed your writing.

20. Debbie on February 25th, 2017 12:12 am

What beautiful memories! Your Grandfather shared so much life & love. Hugs to you & yours.

21. Araceli on February 25th, 2017 7:19 pm

Touching story Ana!
    You share your story in a relatable and beautiful way. Your grandfather would be so proud of you. You are an outsanding writer!

22. Lisa Kogut on February 26th, 2017 9:28 pm

Beautiful piece, wonderful memorial to your grandfather and your love for him. Keep writing!

23. Kit on February 27th, 2017 11:46 am

Very well said. Touched my heart and said exactly what my daughters had to go through with their grandpa.

24. Becky Ramirez on February 27th, 2017 5:31 pm

Ana, you made me feel as if I was like bing the story with you. I could feel your pain, your sadness but also your love. You have a gift, keep using it! Your grandfather left you the best legacy, his life! Becky

25. Carol Cox on February 28th, 2017 6:27 pm

Great article Ana!

26. Mo on March 1st, 2017 8:46 pm

That was a beautiful story Ana. Wishing you lots of hugs and warmth.
    ♥♥

27. Yanette Carmona on March 2nd, 2017 11:07 am

Gentle & beautiful story that we can all truly connect to. Thank you Ana for bringing out the importance of how our loved ones will always be part of us!

28. Alexis Mentzel on March 2nd, 2017 10:51 pm

ANA YOU ARE SO TALENTED!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Closure

Voice

Personal Column: Hidden tales within feet

• Closure

Voice

Unethical practices fuel captive wildlife industry

• Closure

Voice

U.S. must follow example of ancient Athens, cherish democracy

• Closure