Splashing into State

Cougars on the road to state after victory at regional swim meet

Jenny Jiang, Staff Writer

Cougars dominated the regional swim meet this past weekend with a team championship, scoring 79.5 points over the second place team. Girls swimming received second place overall, while the boys received first place for the fourth year in a row.

These athletes start their days off by jumping into the cold pool water at 5:45 each morning. They must also endure a strenuous off-season that includes running up and down the infamous ‘hill’ and flipping tires.

“I wouldn’t characterize the team only as a group of great swimmers but as hard working individuals who realize the sacrifices you have to make in order to achieve your goals at the end of the season,” senior Christian Rossi said.

The girls “Swimmer of the Meet,” Junior Aria Bernal, automatically qualified for three events at the State Meet. She will be competing in two individual events and one Medley Relay with the company of her sister, freshman Sophia Bernal.

Senior Glen Cowand now holds the school record for the 100 Butterfly and will take part in that event at State. He received the title of “Swimmer of the Meet” for boys. Glen will also be competing in the boys 400 Freestyle Relay along with teammates Christian Rossi, David Rodgers and Billy Fales. He is a part of three school relay records and set two other individual school records.

“It’s really humbling to break a school record just because of how historically well Cinco has done in swimming with Coach Patterson,” senior Glen Cowand said. “Breaking a relay record with your teammates is much more enjoyable in my opinion.”

The Cougars qualified for more individuals and relays than any other school in KISD. Altogether, there are 13 athletes that automatically qualify for the State Meet that will be held in Austin on Feb. 17-18.

The team hopes for a championship in Austin, but they are proud to have made it this far into the race. According to Rossi, their ultimate goal is to place in the top five for boys and top ten overall.

“The thing I enjoy most about swimming is at the end of the season when you get to lift the plaque and have the honor to call yourself a member of the best swim team in the district and region,” Rossi said.

Ayesha Rabbi
Senior Billy Fales prepares to dive into his event.
Ayesha Rabbi
Cougars take first place at the regional 6A swim meet.
Ayesha Rabbi
Swimmers enter the cold water in hopes to place for the State meet that will take place on Feb. 3-4 in Austin, Texas.