Girls and boys soccer advance to state semi-finals

Student spectators excused to support Georgetown matches

Samin Alam

The varsity boys soccer team celebrates their overtime 2-1 victory over Aldine HS on Saturday, April 11. This Friday’s state semi-final match will be the boys’ first time advancing to that level since 2008.

Joanne Chavali, Staff Writer

The Cougar varsity soccer teams each clinched their Regional championship titles last Saturday, April 11. The girls beat the Seven Lakes Spartans 3-0 at Deer Park, and the boys defeated Aldine in a penalty shootout 2-1.

The girls will play Dallas Highland Park this Friday, April 17 at noon at the Georgetown ISD stadium. The boys will play Arlington Sam Houston the same day and place at 5 p.m.. If either team advances, state finals are the next day in Georgetown.

The school will provide fan buses leaving at 8:30 a.m. on Friday for student spectators. Permission slips for the bus are due today with a $30 bus ticket fee.

Students who choose to provide their own transportation will need to turn in a signed permission slip by Thursday. These students will need to check in with a CRHS administrator to ensure their absence is excused.

The boys will be advancing to state for the first time since 2008, and the Lady Cougars are advancing to State for the second year in a row. The girls’ win at Regionals boosted team spirit, but also made them look forward to the state title.

“It was exciting just like last year, but we all still felt that we had more work to do,” sophomore Lily Bravenec said. “It’s more than just getting to state. It’s also about winning state.”