Varsity Tennis wins at Clear Lake match, advances to Districts

Sara Saavedra, staff writer

The Tennis Varsity team began their spring season on a high note. On Feb. 14 and 15, they competed in the Clear Lake Varsity Tennis Tournament where they went against other teams within the region, including Clements High School and Seven Lakes High School.

“The athletes got to play some great competition, [and] we continue to have an excellent spring season with notable results,” Coach Richard May said.

Mixed double pair, freshman Karla De La Luz and junior Yoma Ogbevire, won “A” mixed doubles against Clear Lake in the quarter finals and defeated Seven Lakes in the semi-finals. Towards the end of the tournament De La Luz and Ogbevire came out winners when they beat Ft.Bend Austin in the finals.

The players will participate in more tournaments that lead up to districts. The District Tournament will take place on April 2 until April 4 where the top eight boys and girls from all levels will partake in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles.

“At the varsity level, if they place either first or second in districts, they earn a bid to the regional tennis tournament,” May said.

If the players advance to regionals and earn 1st and 2nd place, they have an opportunity to advance to State.

Coaches and players alike look forward to Districts and the possibility of going to State, though they will go against other well trained teams.
“Our District is very tough-with Memorial, Seven Lakes and Taylor, as well as us, all ranked in the State top 25,” May said.